DBT Skills Essentials - May 2019
Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th May 2019
You can register now for this training online (see below).
Online registrations close on 3 May 2019 (40 days). You can also reserve a place for the training which we'll hold for you until 1 April 2019.
This two-day workshop covers the fundamentals of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills: Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness. Participants learn how to plan, structure, and conduct DBT skills classes. This workshop also addresses the targets for skills training, as well as how to apply fundamental DBT strategies in skills training. Extensive teaching and use of clinical examples are used to illustrate specific skills training procedures, assignment and review of homework with clients, and troubleshooting common skills training obstacles. This course is designed for all mental health professionals who want to learn to teach DBT skills or to improve their teaching with clients. This training will cover material from the 2014 DBT® Skills Training Manual, Second Edition.
This training has been developed by Dr Marsha Linehan and is delivered by our trainers in collaboration with Behavioral Tech and The Linehan Institute.
- Understand the dialectical nature of DBT skills training
- Identify the Strategies & Procedures required for effective teaching of DBT skills
- Be able to utilize recent updates to DBT Skills training
- Be familiar with DBT Skills Modules
- Know how to structure DBT skills training for specific populations and settings
- Effectively review DBT skills training homework.
- This is a beginning to intermediate level training.
- Similar training has been previously offered covering materials from the 2014 skills manual.
Mike Batcheler is a clinical psychologist who has worked in NZ and UK mental health settings since the mid-1990s after initially working for NZ Department of Corrections in the early 1990s. He was a founding member of New Zealand’s first dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) programme in 1998 and works as a DBT therapist, skills trainer and programme coordinator in an adult DHB DBT programme. He was a research therapist on a NZ DBT trial with self-harming adolescents and their families. He is a founding member of DBTNZ. Mike has considerable experience consulting and training in New Zealand. He has been a trainer for a number of Behavioral Tech licensed events including DBT intensive trainings. He is a DBT-Linehan Board of Certification Certified Clinician™.
Dr Tessa Brudevold-Iversen is a Clinical Psychologist who specialises in DBT for adolescents and has more recently been involved in treatment development of DBT for eating disorders. She was a co-researcher on a treatment development project utilising DBT to treat adolescents with eating disorders and emotional dysregulation and regularly provides DBT trainings for mental health services, NGOs, and universities. Tessa facilitates Family Connections groups and has been involved in this since it first started in New Zealand. She did DBT-specific post-doctoral study in Seattle, Washington, USA working with Marsha Linehan and other Behavioral Tech clinicians. Tessa provides DBT supervision and consultation to both individual clinicians and teams.
Guineas 3, Ellerslie Event Centre.
Ellerslie Racecourse, 80 Ascot Ave,
Click to open map in a new window
Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th May 2019
9.00am until 4.30pm daily. Sign in from 8.15am on the first day.
NZ$495.00 + 15% GST(NZ$74.25) = NZ$569.25
Register online (see below)
Sign in from 8.15am on the first day. Free parking at venue. Lunch and tea/coffee refreshments provided.
Terms and conditions:
- Registrations are confirmed only when payment is received by credit card (with Paypal), electronically or by cheque.
- Payment must be made before the training. By registering you accept liability for the costs of the training.
- Cancellations must be notified to us by email (or the website contact form) with full identifying information.
- Cancellations received more than seven days before the event will receive a refund of the fees paid less an administration charge of $50+GST (for each event). Refunds cannot be given after that date. Refunds will not be available until after the event.
- A colleague may be substituted for no extra charge if we are notified at least two business days before the training event.
- If registration numbers are low we may provide the event with only one trainer. Participants would be notified before the training and given the option of a full refund if they wished to withdraw from the event.
- Certificates of attendance are available for all participants who attend 100% of the training. See our FAQ page for more info.
- In the unlikely event the training is cancelled by the organisers, registration will be fully refunded but no liability will be accepted for travel, accommodation or other costs/expenses incurred to registrants.
Log in or Sign up to register online for this training or to reserve a place.